|Dates||Start time||End time||Location||Coordinator||registrations|
|November 15., 16. and 17. 2016: 9h00-17h00||00:00||Wageningen||Torfs, Ellen||18||Course is fully booked|
|14, 15 and 16 Nov 2017||09:00||17:30||Wageningen, tba.||Torfs, Ellen||12 / 3||Apply|
This introductory course is meant for PhD candidates who want to explore the art of teaching within university settings.
PhD candidates interested in teaching and learning within university settings. It is recommended to have some experience in teaching before you take this course.
After taking this course, you should be able to:
- describe basic principles of theories on teaching and learning
- apply theories on teaching and learning when preparing lessons (tutorial, lecture, practical class, etc)
- demonstrate the use of basic teaching skills
- give feedback to students
- reflect on your own qualities, role and teaching style and improve your teaching performance
You will get to know several theories on teaching and learning. You will practice preparing and giving a lesson and will practice your teaching skills.
The course deals with the following subjects:
- Learning outcomes
- Alignment: matching learning activities to outcomes
- Learning process
- Designing learning activities using a lesson plan
- Activating and interacting with students
- Teacher roles and group processes
- Preparing (practice) lessons
- Giving and discussing practice lessons
- Observing and giving/receiving feedback
The course is three days. You will work on theoretical and practical assignments. During micro-teaching assignments you can practice and improve your teaching skills.
It is recommended, though not compulsory, to have some experience in teaching before you take this course.
You will get a proof of participation. The course is worth 1.0 ECTS.
Please note: this course is not part of and does not give any certification for the University Teaching Qualification (UTQ; in Dutch BKO).
Participation is free for Wageningen University PhD candidates.
We consider registration as final. When cancelled within three weeks before the activity starts, your chair group will be charged all costs of your subscription (€350,-).
If there are not enough participants in the course, Educational Staff Development may cancel the course and notify you at the latest two weeks before the start of the course.